Are you ready to turbo-charge your weight loss? You deserve to feel confident and empowered. As we age, nutrition matters more than ever. The Horsham Athletic Club’s nutritionist is here to be your partner throughout your wellness journey.
Eliminating processed foods and added sugars from your diet is a great first step to reach your weight-loss goals. The excess sodium alone in these calorie-dense, but nutrient-deficient products can contribute to looking puffy in the midsection. It’s important to embrace more vegetables, cut back on alcohol because your body will tend to store the sugar as fat, along with keeping an eye on your portion sizes.
Losing weight is never easy. We know your dedication to healthy eating and exercise as part of your daily routine. It’s frustrating when your diet hasn’t changed and you’re exercising, but the scale is staying the same or even going up!
After 40, our bodies’ hormones change, meaning less estrogen for women and less testosterone for men. This in turn can cause undesirable belly fat. Also after 40, our metabolism drops and we lose a little more muscle each year. More frustrating is that hunger increases after 40 due to insulin levels going up and thyroid levels going down. Soluble fiber can help keep you full and fight against that stubborn belly fat.
Eating more frequently with nutrient dense foods to keep hunger pangs at bay will help keep your blood sugar stable. Discover how to keep your appetite in check while still feeling energized with our nutritional counseling services.
Also, getting quality sleep every night can transform how you look and feel. When you get more sleep, you keep the hormones leptin and ghrelin that control hunger in check.
Ever feel like you’re gaining fat around your waist all of a sudden? This is called stress-fat. It’s dangerous because it can lead to heart disease, high-blood pressure, stroke, diabetes and cancer. The good news is you can win the fight against stress-induced weight gain. Stress-relief products, many containing the powerful B complex formula will help energize your metabolism, support cardiovascular wellness, and enhance nervous system function. There are also delicious teas on the market to help boost your weight loss while you continue your healthy lifestyle. Small changes implemented into your routine everyday can make for monumental results in the mirror and on the scale.
Here are 9 strategic weight loss tips for dropping unwanted pounds over 40:
- Add some high-intensity training or metabolic conditioning to burn more calories in less time.
- Be more active outside of the gym in your daily life. This can be something as simple as a walk during your lunch break or taking the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Adjust your diet to add more fiber while cutting out the processed carbohydrates.
- Chronic sleep deprivation elevates cortisol, which in turn leads to insulin resistance. Lower estrogen with elevated cortisol leads to middle-of-the-body weight gain. Try and get between 7-9 hours of sleep per night.
- Build more muscle. This will increase your resting metabolic rate. Muscle burns 3 times more calories than fat cells so continue strength training to keep your metabolism humming throughout the day.
- Fuel up on water. Try and drink a glass of water before every meal. You can also snack on fresh fruits and vegetables, which naturally contain water.
- Try some taurine. This powerful amino acid can speed up your metabolism and help burn fat.
- Snack smart. Eating small meals every 3-4 hours will keep your metabolism cranking, making you burn more calories over the course of the day.
- Kick up the protein. Your body burns more calories digesting protein than any other nutrient. Protein supplements are a great way to hit your daily target and are convenient for that busy lifestyle and hectic schedule.